Thursday, March 11, 2010

Why do people use fitted sheets in the US?

Almost everyone in the US uses fitted sheets on their beds but in Europe it's all flat sheets? Why is that? What's the difference? It's hard to even find fitted sheets in the stores in some countries. Isn't that a weird difference?Why do people use fitted sheets in the US?
I live in the USA and am 60 years old. When I was young we only had flat sheets as well. The fitted sheets stay firmly in place on the mattress while the flat sheet tends to pull out and makes the bed look sloppy. The only issue with fitted sheets is that it takes a little patience to get the hang of folding them. In the US the flat sheets are made smaller than they were in the past and are now loo small to be able to be tucked in all around the mattress.Why do people use fitted sheets in the US?
Well I hope you mean the flat sheet, because I lived in germany most of my life and my relatives live there and they use the fitted sheet that goes over the mattress but not the flat sheet that goes underneath the comforter here ( feather blanket there). I don't really get why us uses flat sheets, maybe so that the blankets dont get dirty? I know a flat sheet sure doesnt keep me warm its just another sheet to wash. I know that in Germany we can find fitted sheets in stores but not flat sheets.
How do they get flat sheets to stay on the bed? It seems like with out them being securely tucked into the mattress they would come untucked when laying on them/moving around in the night when sleeping on them. How do they ensure that they stay securely in place around the mattress? I have visited Europe and don't remember the hotels I stayed in not using fitted sheets.
Fitted sheets are used as the bottom sheet to cover the mattress. We then use flat sheets as the top sheet. A fitted sheet has rounded corners with elastic around the edge. This is much easier to put onto the mattress and it holds in place better than doing hospital corners on the bottom sheet.





As long as I can remember (I'm 45), we've just always had fitted sheets for the bottom sheet.
A fitted sheet is the sheet that goes over the mattress (has elastic ends on all 4 corners). A flat sheet is the sheet on top of the fitted sheet you put under your bed spread to use as a blanket.
Because they are easier to deal with when making your bed. It's probably a pain to try to fold and tuck a flat sheet around your matress, unless you're use to it. Yes, that IS a wierd difference! Guess there are a lot of things people from various countries don't know about others?!
To fit over the mattress
bcuz it makes you feel good

No comments:

Post a Comment